Engaging in a problem related to file size issue with Lotus Domino is most commonly observed in the organizations using Lotus Notes. It is noticeable that lotus notes user account gets stacked up with numerous files and does not even contain a space to accommodate a single file. The mail saving option ends up with a surprising note – “Cannot allocate database object – database would exceed its disk quota!” or “Your mail file has exceeded the size threshold. You should delete messages and compact your mail file”.
IBM Lotus Domino environment entails several configuration options that permits to manage the mailbox size. This is called ‘Quota’. The basic configuration setting of Domino Server is set at maximum where user can use the mailbox to send/receive the data till the threshold of the allocated quota is reached. This can be understood by setting an example – If the user database is set at 125 MB and user attempts to set a 100 MB database, then the quota will not be applied till it reaches its limit.
Managing File Size of Mailbox Database
To manage the NSF database there are several options that can be exercised. It not only provides different and capable solutions but also promises secure data inclusion. Some of the most revenant solutions are best described here:
- Deletion of unsecured mails: The first and foremost thing the user of non-technical instinct can do is deletion of unnecessary mails that keep on consuming the allocated space and do not allow valid mails to enter once the useless mails get stacked. Once such mails are deleted, the space is occupied by valid mails.
- Detaching the Attachments: Detach the attachments from mail and delete the mails to lower the load on mailbox. The mail database must not act as File Retention System. Doing so will definitely create a good space to include the upcoming emails which are very important.
- Save the quota by not allowing mailbox to automatically save sent mail: The allocated space can be saved by not allowing automatic saving of sent mails. The option of saving the copy of the sent mail is active by default; therefore, it is suggested to manually alter the settings and do not save the sent mails until it is utmost important.
- Use ‘Reply without Attachment’ Option: To reply any mail, it is suggested to use ‘Reply without Attachment’ option as it helps in reducing the unwanted space used when user switches to ‘Reply with Attachment.’
- Archiving Documents: Those mails which are not often referred must not be accessed every now and then as doing so engages some space and may land the user in trouble. However, from technical aspect it is mandatory to keep the database archive.
- Discard Old Calendar Entries: To remove the old calendar entries marked in mailbox user has to use meetings tab from Calendar. The removal of old entries creates fresh space for including the upcoming events. Marking the new events without discarding the older ones will lead to space choking and may end up in troubled logs.
- Removal of old To Do items: Alike deletion of old calendar entries, the elimination of old To Do items also assists in clearing the unclaimed space. Once such space is cleared, the space becomes available to new To Do items list.
The management of database can be easily done by implementing these methods, but prior making any changes it is ethically wise to know the mailbox size.
Manual Compaction of Lotus Notes Database and Domino Server
Manual Compaction is the technique that simply adjusts the allocated quota. This can be done as follows:
- In Lotus Notes, click File -> Database -> Properties to access Database Properties Box.
- Select the Info tab -> % Tab to view the amount of space to be recovered.
- Click the Compact button to reduce the size of the database.
Once compaction is done, user can use mail database. The other form of compaction can be done in Lotus Domino Server. To implement compaction in Domino Server user must follow these steps:
- In Domino Directory, click Server/Programs -> Configuration Folders -> Add Program Button.
- Complete the Program document with appropriate values.
- Click Save and Close to initialize the Program document.
Apart from manual correction method to enhance the allocated quota, there is another method in which user has an option to simply migrate the mailbox items to different format which is more secure and all time accessible.
How about Third-party Assistance?
Kernel for NSF to PST falls under category of those software that permits user to convert Lotus Notes emails, contacts, calendar items, drafts etc. into MS Outlook. The tool supports clean conversion of NSF files to PST along with support for Unicode characters migration. The tool is in capacity to save the NSF file items to TEXT, HTML and RTF formats. The tool also converts Domino Server to PST or Domino Server to Exchange Server without letting in any incompatibility issue.
For any further information regarding Kernel for NSF to PST converter tool, visit: http://www.nucleustechnologies.com/lotus-notes-to-outlook.html